Deliver the Speed & Power of God!
November 29, 2016 & October 23, 2012
From “The Mind, Its Projections and Multiple Facets” by Yogi Bhajan, Ph.D, with Gurucharan Singh, Ph.D. Kundalini Research Institute, Espanola, NM 1998, pp. 3-5. Used with permission. Order this remarkable book at http://astore.amazon.com/souans-20/detail/B000KXZ4L2
I want to talk to you about your most important companion and its structure, the mind.
Every human being who wants to excel and to develop the character and caliber that upholds the values of the Soul, needs a direct, fundamental relationship to the mind. You must have a basic practical understanding of the mind’s conception, properties, Aspects, Projections and 81 Facts. This is the minimum requirement to develop human sensitivity.
So prepare yourself for an intense study. Not an intellectual debate, but an intelligent confrontation with your own experience. Why do we need to do this?
Man jeetai jag jeet
--By Guru Nanak, Siri Guru Granth Sahib, page 6 (28th pauree of Japji Sahib)
“By conquering your mind, you conquer the world.
If we can master the use and command of the mind, we can enjoy this world and live truthfully, gracefully, and prosperously.”
Let me give you some opening statements. They are truths to invite you and provoke you in this study:
- Mind is your best friend and your worst enemy.
- There is nothing without mind, and there is nothing with mind.
- Whosoever controls the mind controls the entire psyche of the universe.
- For all your troubles, your own mind is responsible. For your successes, your mind is doing it.
- Mind has an essential faculty to be faster than time and space. As such, it is so dangerous that you can do things that are delusional, imaginative, and unintentional. And equally, it is so beneficial that you can create things that can be miracles.
- The faculty of mind gives you the total facility to express the godliness in you. Mind is a faculty to understand the entire creativity of God.
- Mind is given to you for you.
- If there is no relationship between you and your mind, then there is no guidance between you and your mind. If there is no consolidated guidance between you and your mind, then your life will be nothing but a disaster for you, for your children, and for your generation to follow.
- Mind is the faculty that can deliver the speed and power of God, and it can ruin mankind in its own web of imagination, ego, and desire. Mind is a faculty which, when applied through the ego, only ruins a human being and never lets him grow to be better than a mere animal under any circumstances.
- This powerful faculty is with you all the time. It operates whether you think about it or not. Do you realize how imperative it is to have a clear relationship to the mind? I can go on saying many things that you have never heard. The mind is subtle and interwoven throughout our life, our problems, and our excellence.
- The mind is tangible, practical, and always with you. You can affect it many ways. It is not something beyond your reach and impact. In a simple layman’s statement: “There are two ways to deal with the mind. Either your mind is under you, or you are under your mind.” It is blunt, simple, and true.
- Whenever you are subject to your mind, you act and become inferior. You begin to say things like, “I can’t help my feelings,” “I can’t understand it,” or “I can’t believe myself.” At that moment you did not use your mind to relate to your Soul and vastness. You reacted under the mind and its attachments to your personality, ego, and environments. You are subjected by your mind.
- When your mind is subject to you, you act and become superior. You have clarity and deliver your excellence. You think, “I am, I AM,” “I trust that I am trustworthy.” Normally we think we have something real and of value when we get a few thousand dollars here, or a few million dollars there, or we have a beautiful wife, or ten girlfriends. We believe this temptation or that projection of our mind has some basic value. Forget it my friend! There is no value at all, not even a bit.
Excellence, awareness, and caliber come to you when you make your mind play the game (that) you and your Soul want. When you play the game your mind makes you play, it ruins you and creates your pain. The mind is vast and extends throughout the totality of the universe. It is involved everywhere. So you become a victim in many ways. You are a victim of your subconscious, which is part of your mind. You are a victim of your conscience (Mother Superior or Super Ego), which is part of your mind. You are even a victim of your absolutely supreme consciousness that also acts through your mind.
When you have an established relationship to your mind, you are aware at all times of the Frequency, Projection, Facet, and part of your mind that acts, as well as the chakra through which you act. You realize your mind uses many parts, and that the greater mind has three Functional Minds: Negative Mind, Positive Mind, and Neutral Mind. Your mind thinks, feels, and acts differently in each of these three. They color all your actions and thoughts. Without this awareness and control of your mind, you surrender your own judgments. You let the mind decide for you!
Just imagine your normal condition. You may be speaking to someone about a business topic. Just outside of your central awareness, your mind sends you a stream of thoughts: “You sound good. Actually you sound bad. You lack confidence. You are wrong. You must be right---etc.”
Who is to judge? Your mind is a stream of thoughts, impressions, and reactions. It is a collection of animal and human faculties under the pressure of the senses and under social pressure. But you are not the mind. That stream of thoughts and reactions is not you. Therefore, your mind cannot judge that you are good or bad, right or wrong, confident or doubtful. If you do not control your projections and action from a point of equilibrium and awareness, then you surrender your judgmental (Soul’s discernment) capacity and your identity! Your words and actions lose impact, coherence, and depth.
You have incredible faculties in this human body and brain. But without a relationship to your mind, what will happen? You won’t have control of yourself to face your mind. Then your habits control you. And when your habits control you, you are a robotic disaster. Call that condition anything you like—interlocked neuroses, crippled awareness, stereotyped behaviors. Whatever your terminology, it is essentially a web of habits that rules the psyche and you.
This happens because the mind has a capacity to act like a recorder. A habit enters the recorder and then begins, automatically, to play itself back in your behavior, feelings, and thoughts. Layer after layer of habit forms in the subconscious mind of each person. Used with awareness, habits help you act quickly, and they automate actions that require little change. Used without a relationship between you and the mind, they steal your spontaneity, uniqueness, and projection. You have a choice: Live in excellence and awareness or live subject to the stereotypes of your subconscious habits.
If you choose to live in your excellence, then you must take responsibility for your self. You must recognize the capacity of your mind, acknowledge your self, and direct that relationship. We all want to live with excellence and experience love, happiness, and the ecstasy of life. How can we get there?
You need a simple mind. You need the capacity for innocence before your own Soul. You need the warmth of the heart and the clarity of the head.
It is something you cannot buy in the market nor get by holding on to some belief. It only comes to you when your mind has become pure and most simple.
The problem is that without a clear relationship to your mind, the ego takes over. And the ego loves complications. Instead of doing what is necessary and enjoying the fruits of those actions, whatever they may be, you follow the reactions of the mind and create complications.
You are afraid and try to control everything.
The way you control is by emotional compensations. Instead of creating a clear cause, a righteous action, a potent seed, you want sympathy. To get sympathy you act with apathy, as if you are powerless and are not responsible to act. You want attention, and you try to get it with a shout or a pout! You try anything except letting things progress to success and completion. You have no trust, because you have no clarity and no relationship to your mind. That is the reason a human being, who is created in the image of God, can be surrounded by failure and unhappiness. You act as if nothing is real to you. As if you could act and create with a precise and certain consequence. When you recognize your own basic nature, you recognize the power of your purity, piety, and innocence. You forge a direct and simple relationship to the mind and all its complications.
How do you accomplish this relationship? That is why we meditate. That is why we do “jappa” (meditation) and “nam simran” (deep meditation on a mantra or name of God). In the world of your mind, you feel, you have emotions, you have habits, you have sensory actions and reactions. You may have control or no control. In meditation you begin to realize that there is a world of you. There is a world of your mind, and a world of you. In the world of you, in your basic elementary situation, in your identity, your mind is your servant not your master. That is why we do Kundalini Yoga. That is why we do sadhana.
You are given a body and mind that are designed with the subtlety and power to respond to you and to your Soul. Yet you act as if they are insensitive and you have no power. You act without understanding or innocence.